Archive for the Roguelike Project Issues Category

Another big nite o code

Posted in Developer Diary, iPhone Roguelike Development, Roguelike, Roguelike Project Issues on December 11, 2012 by dommillar

Another big night completing the rest of the XMLafication of the dungeonbarx where I remove any old hardcoded rubbish and replace by inflating the object with XML data on initialisation.

Time to get the project back on track

Posted in Roguelike, Roguelike Project Issues on December 10, 2012 by dommillar

fairly quiet couple of weeks as busy with work and now settling a little time to get this little project back on track.  Excited by having a bit more time although expect the nightime missions will start to become more constant as I get this app ready for the appstore – but hey thats life in the indie world!!

Currenltly experimenting with some cool XML options to allow most of the creatures, objects and other cool items to be loaded from xml files and tying this in with the current PCG (Procedural Content Generation) codebase.

Back soon!!!!

 

Current bug list

Posted in buglist, bugs, Roguelike Project Issues with tags , on November 26, 2012 by dommillar

Ok so there are a few non-bugs in here (maybe this should just be called a get it done list) anyway 10 dec is not very far away so this list needs to start to get a bit smaller pronto – please ignore CAP issues!!!

Current Bugs/Issues

===================

Music to be killed when we leave the game

Bug when we leave drop and use weapons – animations not being displayed

Name is hardcoded for display in main controller

displays nulls for the tiles – when clicking on a tile it does not show any description just null

no door displayed on level 1 and below – getting stuck on level 1

potions appearing in the middle of walls

fix the story so far text …does not reflect the current game or the user doco

swipe code does nothing for other functions

CODE TO PICK UP WHATS BEEN WALKED AND TOUCHED

Start intro music on main game screen only kill it when we start the actual game – so just a pass areference to it to the game controller and check it there

Display a message when picking up 5th item

Can start in a wall

make sure the bow attack code works

make sure the boss has better attacks

Add 1 more bard allow him to be selected from start

Hardcopy rubbish in the getImageFromRow method

Remove all hardcopy strings and numbers to the constant class

In the other town rooms there are no images of real people can we add them

add a dungeon link from a castle or building in town ie. Dungeon in Castle

Document all current rules in User Documentation as user doco is way out of date

New theme and header

Posted in Roguelike Project Issues, Uncategorized on November 26, 2012 by dommillar

A really cool new theme from wordpress and an excellent banner for the website built by my good friend Hilary

Other news includes plans to submit this crazy game by the 10th December – might be an uphill battle but whats life without its little challenges

Diary of a budding iPhone indie developer : day 1

Posted in Developer Diary, iPhone development (General), iPhone Roguelike Development, Roguelike, Roguelike Project Issues with tags , , , on August 14, 2012 by dommillar

The following posts are the daily diary I will maintain throughout this project. The project is a University assignment for my Masters Degree for an iPhone game called DungeonBard and I have decided to keep a diary of the adventures.

So i have completed a basic prototype of a game. I mean really basic,but it works and its sort of fun in a simplistic retro way. It’s been an interesting few weeks that started out with the usual frustrations of a C# developer starting to work with X-Code and objective C. It’s an experience that is often bemoaned by the .NET developer trying to work in Xcode who ofter refer to the experience as painful and as a “step backwards”. Its an interesting experience and having felt like that in the past with previous unsuccessful attempts with XCode dating back to 2009 – I was a bit concerned. Several days in though things changed. My ability to add functionality  to my app and built a simple roguelike came much quicker than I thought it would. Suddenly the semantic issues I had previously struggled with just went away. It just clicked. It just sort of became easier.

I think in truth it had a lot to do with the fact that for the first time I was actually coding in XCode during the day and not trying to squeeze a few hours into a busy weeknight, when I am usually tired and not really able to give 100%. It became fun as well and this probably had a lot to do with the fact that I was building a game.

So today is significant – the prototype though basic works. Like a classic Roguelike you can move your character around the screen or dungeon using NSEW buttons placed on the screen.

At the moment the prototype is very simple but its demonstrated the fundamentals of the game – its the proof of concept and from experience its a really important milestone in any development project. So with this milestone completed I start the serious work of trying to complete this game by early october for UNI but also I am hoping to get this up on the App store.