Archive for the iPhone development (General) Category

Last night victory of code

Posted in Developer Diary, iPhone development (General), iPhone Roguelike Development, Roguelike on December 11, 2012 by dommillar

A great night last night working late but implemented quite a cool pattern for loading XML files to inflate various objects including creatures (and their conversations) items and other game objects. This is big as it removes all the hardcoded constants that make the code very hard to maintain. It means I am very close to the state of development I have been striving for ( no not completion although that’s coming too : ) ). That state is what I call “content”.

This means I am close to the point where’s the engine is done and all we need to do is fill out the content and tweak/tighten the game.

Diary of the bad budding indie Dev

Posted in Developer Diary, iPhone development (General), Roguelike on September 14, 2012 by dommillar

Ok I have been bad this week very bad – lots of stuff done including uni presentation , major achievement in the code got the main game mechanic and a lot of doco but I have been quiet on the blog. I will try to update the feature set list later tonight and see if I can get the presentation up. I have roughly a month to go before assignment is due do still lots to do

First Screenshot – DungeonBard (more to come…)

Posted in iPhone development (General), iPhone Roguelike Development, Roguelike with tags , , on August 30, 2012 by dommillar
Dungeon Bard first screen shot

Dungeon Bard first screen shot – so this is what happens when you select a skeleton who you are not attacking – so it displays the details of the creature you can see in the top text box.Obviously more to go on that front.

Big thanks to Reiner “Tiles” Prokein  for the wonderful tiles I am using !!!

Diary of a budding iPhone indie developer : day 1

Posted in Developer Diary, iPhone development (General), iPhone Roguelike Development, Roguelike, Roguelike Project Issues with tags , , , on August 14, 2012 by dommillar

The following posts are the daily diary I will maintain throughout this project. The project is a University assignment for my Masters Degree for an iPhone game called DungeonBard and I have decided to keep a diary of the adventures.

So i have completed a basic prototype of a game. I mean really basic,but it works and its sort of fun in a simplistic retro way. It’s been an interesting few weeks that started out with the usual frustrations of a C# developer starting to work with X-Code and objective C. It’s an experience that is often bemoaned by the .NET developer trying to work in Xcode who ofter refer to the experience as painful and as a “step backwards”. Its an interesting experience and having felt like that in the past with previous unsuccessful attempts with XCode dating back to 2009 – I was a bit concerned. Several days in though things changed. My ability to add functionality  to my app and built a simple roguelike came much quicker than I thought it would. Suddenly the semantic issues I had previously struggled with just went away. It just clicked. It just sort of became easier.

I think in truth it had a lot to do with the fact that for the first time I was actually coding in XCode during the day and not trying to squeeze a few hours into a busy weeknight, when I am usually tired and not really able to give 100%. It became fun as well and this probably had a lot to do with the fact that I was building a game.

So today is significant – the prototype though basic works. Like a classic Roguelike you can move your character around the screen or dungeon using NSEW buttons placed on the screen.

At the moment the prototype is very simple but its demonstrated the fundamentals of the game – its the proof of concept and from experience its a really important milestone in any development project. So with this milestone completed I start the serious work of trying to complete this game by early october for UNI but also I am hoping to get this up on the App store.

Completed getting the main starting XIB to work in XCode (replacing storyboard)

Posted in iPhone development (General), iPhone Roguelike Development, Roguelike with tags , on August 5, 2012 by dommillar

I am replacing my storyboards with good old fashion XIB’s to make my app compatible with pre iOS 5 devices

1. Click on your target and set the storyboard to blank

2. Create a new class that is a subclass of

UIViewController called MainViewController and make sure the create XIB is selected

3. Add the following to the existing AppDelegate.h file

#import “MainViewController.h”

@property (strong, nonatomic) MainViewController *viewController;

4.In didFinishLaunchingWithOptions in MainViewController.m

add the following:

self.window = [[UIWindow alloc] initWithFrame:[[UIScreen mainScreen] bounds]];

self.viewController = [[DungeonBardViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@”DungeonBardViewController” bundle:nil];

self.window.rootViewController = self.viewController;

[self.window makeKeyAndVisible];

return YES;

And behold the new XIB starts as expected – of course I now need to extract all the UI elements out of the existing storyboard…